23 Jan 2017’s purple trail – the fun bits!
- Our penchant for Site Inspections at the ‘wrong’ time continued… floods and road / airport closures in California to probably the hottest place in the world in July (Oman). We really should work in events!
- Here’s a question – how many people does it take to put up a Christmas Tree? To save blushes, the hotel will remain nameless – but I do hope labour is cheap when it takes an hotel 5 people 5 days to install and decorate one tree (it did look nice though)!
- We’ve had better anniversary gifts… but almost a year to the day of moving to our new kennels (office), there was a rather unpleasant and oh-so pungent aroma pervading our nostrils. We will save you the graphic details, but let’s just say a rather large rodent died under the loft floorboards, slowly cooking on a light over the boss’s desk. This will forever be known as ‘rat-gate’ and it’s one ‘gate’ we’d rather never repeat.
- How ‘high’ can one get on an event? Just ask our Associates Sarah and Lindsey when making up 500 flavoured loose-leaf tea gifts during a stonkingly hot summer’s day. Apparently, they never wish to encounter Strawberry Lemonade or Marmalade tea ever again!
- Apparently, we don’t just get our timings wrong on inspections… there is genuinely nothing quite like (really) an inflatable igloo venue on the hottest, muggiest day of the year in London! At least our US based client felt at home with the weather… if not surprised at the lack of air-con!
- Did you know that frankincense burners can break a car? Well they can if they are an ‘in car’ burner that fits neatly into the cigarette lighter, drawing so much power that it drains a battery in less than 10 mins. Possibly one of the more unusual RAC call-outs! Thanks Robin!
- The life of an event manager is beyond glamorous at times isn’t it? Ask one of our Associates Glenda who now goes by the name of Mrs Fluff & Fold – she personally laundered over 250 used delegate beach towels to give to a kid’s home in California. Or, how about red-faced James running full-pelt down a platform, trying to get on a train full of delegates and failing? All planned clearly, at least he was able to stay behind and deal with the delegates who were late for the train!
- No way can one travel ‘professional’ miss a flight, get a wrong airport, or travel on the wrong date more than once in a year could they? Ask Chris, he may just surprise you!
- Where is the camera when you need it? Oh so many ‘kodak’ moments; (dis)gracefully falling from a paddleboard in California, shaking a ‘shake’ in the office… without the lid on, quite the clean-up operation; or blowing out a candle with the force of a hurricane leading to hot wax coating the phone, the wall, the floor etc.
- We cannot leave it our pets out of this; we have one dog that can kill from a thousand paces when she does a ‘silent but deadly’ (sadly, all too often when visitors are in), to another that is developing such a crush on the neighbouring business’s Staffie (Boycie) that she is becoming a bit a bit of a stalker. Got to love them ha!
All in all, along with the long hours and dedication that our team put into our client events, we have quite the giggle too. Our little agency has had a fabulous 2017 and helped clients launch some tremendous products in some outstanding parts of the world and arranged seriously creative conferences and PR events working with some of the industry’s best partners – it’s been a blast and here’s to much more this year.
With best wishes to all our clients and industry friends for a successful and happy 2018.